Re: Autumn Flowers

From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)

Ian writes:

>After about 6 weeks, I have returned to the fold!  I spent three in the
>Maritimes and took some time to search for Iris prismatica.  It was
>recorded as abundant at Louisburg in 1900 and has not been found there
>for about 50 years.  It is only recorded recently in three locations in
>the province and, on examining the herbarium specimens, I wonder if they
>are all valid locations.  The threatened designation of this species for
>the province seems very justified.

Welcome back, Ian!  What a shame that your hunt was unsuccessful.

>  On my return, I was
>greeted by two plants of Iris lacustris in flower again.  What is going
>on?  Do they not know that it is September and winter is only a few
>weeks away!

I am not familiar with I. lacustris, Ian....but I can say it has been a
phenomenal year for rebloom in bearded irises a bit to the south of you--in
central NY.  As I left this a.m., I saw that TOTAL RECALL has popped open
another bud--this is it's third flush of bloom this year.  Many others
performed well; usual cast here in the fall is IMMORTALITY and QUEEN DOROTHY
only.

Now, HOW can I keep the blarsted Japanese beetles from quickly decimating
all the flowers?  (Milky spore does not suivive the winter here).

Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu
Newfield, NY