SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: JEM300@aol.com

Hi Listers,

I am going to my local iris club meeting tomorrow night and we are going to be
discussing shows.  Specifically, limiting entries.  When in Colorado I did an
informal poll of a few folks from around the country to see if entries are
limited in their shows.
Unfortunately, I did not take notes but recall many of the people I asked said
their clubs DID limit entries.

We are finding we have far too many entries in most of our shows in order to
judge in a reasonable amount of time and have gone up to an hour and a half
overtime for this task.  Also, although it is certainly nice for the public to
be able to view many irises all in one place, some exhibitors habitually bring
well over a hundred entries!  I find personally that these entries are not
groomed as they should be and some are really not "blue ribbon" stalks anyway.
Also, I feel limiting entries makes it more fair for all the exhibitors.  Not
everyone has the time or acreage to grow 800 varieties and the same people are
always the medal winners and it is discouraging to some exhibitors who bring
maybe 5 very excellent entries.

So.........if you have any input on this I would appreciate it.  Perhaps you
can take the time to let me know if your shows are limited and how many
generally per class.
Please reply to me directly at JEM300@aol.com if your response would not be in
general interest to the list subcribers.  Thanks for your time and help!

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI
AIS, SSI, and WIS member