Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 JEM300@aol.com wrote:

> From: JEM300@aol.com
> Hi Listers,
> We are finding we have far too many entries in most of our shows in order to
> judge in a reasonable amount of time and have gone up to an hour and a half
> overtime for this task.  Also, although it is certainly nice for the public to
> be able to view many irises all in one place, some exhibitors habitually bring
> well over a hundred entries!  I find personally that these entries are not
> groomed as they should be and some are really not "blue ribbon" stalks anyway.
> Also, I feel limiting entries makes it more fair for all the exhibitors.  Not
> everyone has the time or acreage to grow 800 varieties and the same people are
> always the medal winners and it is discouraging to some exhibitors who bring
> maybe 5 very excellent entries.
> Linda Doffek
> West Bend, WI
> AIS, SSI, and WIS member
	In theory an iris show is for the public and not the exhibitors.
Since the point of a show is to display irises and perhaps to gain new
club members or encourage interest in growing irises, I would hesitate to
limit the number of entries.

	Not all entries are blue ribbon winners.  But, at the same time
obviously inferior stalks should not be entered in the show.  If you want
to limit the stalks to those of high quality, you might have a screening
committee to eliminate those poorly groomed or showing a tear or poor
branching with bunched flowers, etc.

	True, the folks with the large gardens are apt to carry away the
medals, but the queen may come from a person who brought just a few
entries.  I remember Mrs. Rena Allen bringing only one stalk to the Ft.
Worth Show many years ago and winning queen on MOON RIVER.

	Also, I would suggest you get more judges and set up a panel of
'Super Judges' to send back to the tables those blue ribbon winners that
are not the best.  This can really speed things along.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8