Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

JEM300@aol.com wrote:

> From: JEM300@aol.com
>
> Hi Listers,
>
> I am going to my local iris club meeting tomorrow night and we are going to be
> discussing shows.  <<snip>>   some exhibitors habitually bring well over a
> hundred entries!  I find personally that these entries are not groomed as they
> should be and some are really not "blue ribbon" stalks anyway.  <<snip>>
>

> Linda Doffek
> West Bend, WI
> AIS, SSI, and WIS member

I don't really have an opinion on number of entries per person, however I
understand the concern because I saw the same thing at our spring show, which was
my first iris show.  At our show a few people brought a huge number of stalks and
numbers alone dictated they win the majority of ribbons.  I am really undecided on
limits.

The area I wanted to touch on here is grooming.  I know the rules on judging and
the points stated for well groomed plants but I disagree with this.  Why should a
stalk/bloom be judged on grooming?  This has nothing to do with the way the plant
naturally looks.  I did not groom my stalks and have no intention of doing so in
the future.  Anyone out there who knows where this custom came from and why?

Glenn

--
Glenn & Linda Simmons
mailto:glsimmon@swbell.net