Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Glenn Simmons wrote:

> The area I wanted to touch on here is grooming.  I know the rules on judging and
> the points stated for well groomed plants but I disagree with this.  Why should a
> stalk/bloom be judged on grooming?  This has nothing to do with the way the plant
> naturally looks.  I did not groom my stalks and have no intention of doing so in
> the future.  Anyone out there who knows where this custom came from and why?
>
> Glenn

	Glenn, there are two kinds of judging - exhibition and garden,
which was more clearly defined in the former edition of the Judges'
Training book, edited by Phil Williams, now president of the TBIS.  Now
these two types of judging are intermingled.

	I think you are applying garden rules or judging to those irises
on the show tables.  Irises on display in a show are to be groomed and,
actually, the flower is not being judged in the show; it is the exhibitor.
So, spent blooms, dust, aphids, cutworms, etc. must be removed.  The iris
must be at its "Sunday best" in order to win a ribbon.  The individual is
judged on how well the iris is cleaned up and displayed. This is an
individual stalk being judged, and in the garden the entire clump is
judged for garden effect.

	If you do not own the latest issue of the Judges' Training
Handbook, I would recommend your getting or borrowing a copy so you can
read more about the differences in exhibition and garden judging.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8