Re: OT: Rose of Sharon

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> When is the best time to dig up seedling of Rose of Sharon? Have some
> that have come up in my Iris bed. Have someone that whould like to have
> them, but don't know when to dig them to move them.
> Thanks for any help that can be given .

Barney Lou,
     As someone who lived in Kentucky for 27 years, I think I can help you
with this.  In Kentucky, Rose of Sharon can be transplanted in the fall, or
in the spring.  They can be moved during the summer, but it is far trickier
     If you move them in the fall, mid September to mid October is the time
in your area.  You want them to have time to root before winter.  If
conditions stay dry, it would be best to wait until spring.
     In the spring, Rose of Sharon should be moved when the leaf buds begin
to swell.  This is the optimum time for transplanting because the plant is
emerging from dormancy, but does not have the leaf surface to contribute to
moisture loss.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida	[Where Rose of Sharons are still blooming]