Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Walter A. Moores wrote:

> From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
>

>         Glenn, there are two kinds of judging - exhibition and garden,
> which was more clearly defined in the former edition of the Judges'
> Training book, edited by Phil Williams, now president of the TBIS.  Now
> these two types of judging are intermingled.
>
>         I think you are applying garden rules or judging to those irises
> on the show tables.  Irises on display in a show are to be groomed and,
> actually, the flower is not being judged in the show; it is the exhibitor.
> So, spent blooms, dust, aphids, cutworms, etc. must be removed.  The iris
> must be at its "Sunday best" in order to win a ribbon.  The individual is
> judged on how well the iris is cleaned up and displayed. This is an
> individual stalk being judged, and in the garden the entire clump is
> judged for garden effect.
>
>         If you do not own the latest issue of the Judges' Training
> Handbook, I would recommend your getting or borrowing a copy so you can
> read more about the differences in exhibition and garden judging.
>
>         Walter Moores
>         Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Thanks for the prompt response Walter.  You are the second person in about the same
number of days to tell me I need a judges handbook!  :)

My wife and I used to show dogs and at one time someone down the line in history
decided I should cut all the whiskers off my dog otherwise it wasn't well groomed!  How
ridiculous, the dog wasn't born without whiskers.  Try to find out where this rule came
from!  No one knows!

I don't have the two types of judging confused Walter.  I will admit to "cleaning up a
stalk."  I agree to removing spent blooms, dust, aphids, worms, etc. but not to using
scissors to trim leaves so they have a more perfect shape or to remove a spot or so.
String or glue should not be used to hold a leaf in a certain position.  A leaf from
one plant should not be removed and placed on another.  I guess what I am saying is no
artifical means should be used or allowed by judges (providing they see it) to form a
more perfect flower.  Other than the "cleaning up" previously mentioned the flower
should be in its natural state.

Am I wrong in my attitude on this?  Or is this the way it is done nationwide?

Glenn

--
Glenn & Linda Simmons
mailto:glsimmon@swbell.net