Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>
To: iris-talk@onelist.com <iris-talk@onelist.com>
Date: Thursday, September 17, 1998 12:07 PM
Subject: [iris-talk] Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

>From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

>I don't have the two types of judging confused Walter.  I will admit to
"cleaning up a
>stalk."  I agree to removing spent blooms, dust, aphids, worms, etc. but
not to using
>scissors to trim leaves so they have a more perfect shape or to remove a
spot or so.
>String or glue should not be used to hold a leaf in a certain position.  A
leaf from
>one plant should not be removed and placed on another.  I guess what I am
saying is no
>artifical means should be used or allowed by judges (providing they see it)
to form a
>more perfect flower.  Other than the "cleaning up" previously mentioned the
>should be in its natural state.
>Am I wrong in my attitude on this?  Or is this the way it is done
Dear Glenn,

The Show Judging Criteria you have described is not done nationwide - it is
done internationally.   We here in Oz use the same set of Rules for Show
Judging /Garden Judging as the AIS.

While I appreciate your comments about "using leaves from another plant"
etc. I think that perhaps you need to consider these efforts not as
"cheating" or "faking things" or anything else sneaky or unnatural.  I
believe that it is the responsibility of the exhibitor to present any
entrant on the Show Bench in its best possible light and to use all Rules
available to him/her to achieve excellence in presentation so as to show off
the entrant to its best possible potential.

If by cutting off browned-off bits of leaf, removing torn leaves, repairing
split petals or other cosmetic efforts are not undertaken then the exhibit
is not being presented the best way possible for Show Judging criteria.
Granted the snipping of your puppie's whiskers is rather drastic (and
semi-permanent) I do not believe that this is analogous to Iris Show Bench

Garden Judging is, I believe, a more "worts and all" form of judging where
an entrant is judged on the plant health, leaf growth, stem production,
blooms, substance, etc. etc. etc.   Show Bench Judging has its own set of
criteria, which includes cleanliness of presentation, etc. etc. etc.  It's a
case of "horses for courses".   One type of judging is for one aspect of
Iris cultivation, and the other is for another type of Iris presentation.

At the NSW Regional Show our Show Bench judges even provide the Society with
at Pre-Show presentation where several twisted spikes with horrible leaves,
flowers facing the wrong way, etc. are presented for their attention.
Within a matter of minutes these ugly ducklings are converted to cinderellas
ready for the ball by using a few techniques and time-honoured skills.

Both types of exhitibing have their own skills and Irisarians should be
encouraged to learn how to do both well.   Give me a cinderella to judge any
day over an ugly duckling which may not do much to promote Iris-growing to
the public.

I hope that this sheds some light on the matter for you, will encourage you
to embrace the two types of judging, and appreciate them both for their

Cheers for now.  Heather Pryor. irishaven@pip.com.au