show stalk numbers

From: "Gordon and Lorraine Nicholson" <iris4u@pacbell.net>

Again it rears its ugly head for me!!  We are commercial growers, we have
over 2000 varieties to choose from on show day, our club is very small,
most want iris shows but refuse to cut their flowers,  or are too busy, but
they still want a show to entice new members.  Now here is where the "ugly"
comes in, what do we do:a, just cut 5-10 iris (then the public has 30
stalks to see) or b,bring as many as we can prepare in the allotted time?
We (actually me) have chosen to take as many as I can prepare (sometimes
not to well, since those who haven't shown before usually need help) so
that we have an excellent number of iris to show to the general public,
which is where we get new members.  Last year due to poor timing, we did
not have AIS judges, so we asked the public to vote on their favorites, it
as great to watch the public take an interest, smell, touch, turn:etc, just
about everything a real judge could not do, the interest was overwhelming
and even though I took a gazillion stalks I DID NOT win by public vote the
first day, did win the second day.  Since winning is not that special to me
(don't get me wrong, I like to win) I get as much joy out of seeing my
friends win as if I won myself.  Just love to tease them about their "one"
stalk winning over my gazillion stalks.  Is this the wrong "take" on this?
Should I show only against other commercial? (there are none here).  Your
opinions are important to me.  lorraine, preparing to move two acres of
iris across town and get planted before winter sets, God bless California
and its great weather.
Lorraine & Gordon Nicholson
Woodland Iris Garden, Modesto Ca.
Region 14, Zone 9, >iris4u@pacbell.net<