Re: SHOW: Opinions needed for informal poll

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 9/16/1998 7:43:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JEM300@aol.com
writes:

<< We are finding we have far too many entries in most of our shows in order
 judge in a reasonable amount of time and have gone up to an hour and a half
 overtime for this task.  <snip>  I find personally that these entries are not
 groomed as they should be and some are really not "blue ribbon" stalks
anyway. >>

Hi Linda:

What a dilemma.... too many irises!  I guess I can't picture a show with "too
many irises"  (:  We ususally go into panic mode about a week before the show
and put out an APB for "any and all" blooms.

But... I understand your problem and I have some suggestions that would be
more palatable than limiting entries.

First of all, IMHO - and viewed as an iris judge - I do not think limiting
entries is ever a good idea.  First of all, it's just going to cause hard
feelings, and secondly - that puts someone in the uncomfortable position of
"iris cop".

We consider our show to be the best advertising the local iris society can
get.  This is the time when we get the most new members - and also the time we
drum up the most business for our sale.  So we want as many irises as we can
get... but, on the other hand, we don't want to exclude the public for too
long, lest they get discouraged and surly.  So here are some options for you:

1.  As others have mentioned.... increase the number of judges.  We generally
have 3 panels of 3 each - but I don't see why you can't have even more.  We
also give the judges a time limit.... we had one show where the judges went on
for hours - which causes bloom to deteriorate and tempers too.  It's better to
have more judges and a quicker judging session.  In fact, maybe you can put
some on 'standby' in case the number of blooms is staggering.

2.  For your grooming problem..... we believe the best cure for that is
EDUCATION.  It's discouraging for a judge to see bloom after bloom that can't
be considered because of easily corrected grooming problems.  We hold a
workshop within a few weeks of the show and train people on how to groom
(using several different judges), and also give folks a packet of articles
that have appeared now and then on grooming.

3.  MOCK SHOW.... this has been one of our greatest inventions... and we stole
it from another club!  We hold a second "show" to run concurrently with the
real one.... with a bunch of good and not-so-good irises that are judged out
loud in front of the public.  This is done in a friendly and instructional
manner so that people can see what the judges are looking for.  So many times
we hear people say "why did THAT iris win, when that one over there is so much
prettier".  This helps them to understand, and also takes care of some of the
iris overflow.

So, those are my thoughts on the subject.  I congratulate you on having such a
wonderful "problem" to solve!  It tells me that you have a very viable, active
and progressive club and that's wonderful!

Kathy Guest, East Aurora, NY