Re: SHOW: Judging (was Opinions)

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Glenn Simmons wrote:

> I don't have the two types of judging confused Walter.  I will admit to "cleaning up a
> stalk."  I agree to removing spent blooms, dust, aphids, worms, etc. but not to using
> scissors to trim leaves so they have a more perfect shape or to remove a spot or so.
> String or glue should not be used to hold a leaf in a certain position.  A leaf from
> one plant should not be removed and placed on another.  I guess what I am saying is no
> artifical means should be used or allowed by judges (providing they see it) to form a
> more perfect flower.  Other than the "cleaning up" previously mentioned the flower
> should be in its natural state.

I am not judge yet, but as I remember the guideline is "nothing can be added"
which would certainly apply to glue and string. I think it is common to use a
piece of stem as a wedge in the holder to keep the stem standing straight as
long as it does not show above the container. Adding leaves? Marginal.
Trimming leaves to remove spots - common. Generally accepted as long as it
looks natural.

The two basic facets of what you are to look for are:

Is it a good example of the cv? (Was it grown well, does it look like it is
supposed to)

Is it displayed well?

IMO

John Jones