Re: show stalk numbers

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Gordon and Lorraine Nicholson wrote:

> From: "Gordon and Lorraine Nicholson" <iris4u@pacbell.net>
>
> Again it rears its ugly head for me!!  We are commercial growers, we have
> over 2000 varieties to choose from on show day, our club is very small....

> Should I show only against other commercial? (there are none here).

That's up to the club (specifically the show committee).

I think little would be gained by putting in a commercial division in your case.
Do you have any guess how many very good stalks from other entrants got reds
instead of blues because you had a better blue? If the number is not large,
there should not be many hard feelings on that score.

If your house is listing to one side because that's where you have put the
silver medals you've won each of the last 92 years, you might see if you can
somehow decline that honor (unconditionally before the judging and counting). I
know of no provison for such a thing in the Judges' Handbook, but if it were
done it would remove the last excuse for hard feelings I can see. An alternative
would be to make a bunch of entries in the exhibition division--but that means
no judging at all.

Please note that I am not saying you should do either of those. If you win a
silver, it's because you deserved it. If you want the chance to win silver
medals in the future, go for it. Anyone who wants to compete can. I'm just
pointing out the conceivable reasons for reducing your level of competition.

-Gerry, thinking that if everyone cared as much as you obviously do, the world
would be a better place
--
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles