Re: show stalk numbers

From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>

Here is a little input from someone who went to and entered his first two
shows this year.  I went to the Florence KY show because I thought  I would
be bloomed out before our show a week later.  Since it was my first show, I took
only seven stalks. There were probably over 200 entered in the show, and at least
two of the exhibitors had over 50 apiece.

I ended up with two on the queens table, three rosettes for them, as well
as 3  first place and 3 second place  ribbons.

The next week at the show put on by my club, I took 14 stalks. I ended up with
2 on the Queen's table, 7 first place ribbons, 5 seconds, and 2 thirds. I also
won the bronze medal. There were around 150 stalks entered if my memory serves
me correctly.  There were at least 2 entrants with over 40 stalks each.

Yes, some of the grooming was less than one would expect. The public never noticed.
The show was impressive from the public viewpoint, which is the goal of a show.
We had people come to our sale 2 months later with lists made at the show.

I would suggest that maybe if there are too many entries, a "display-only" area is
set up for the stalks which are not competition-worthy. This would save time for the
judges, especially if you cannot get enough judges, while still giving the public
a larger number of cultivars to view.  It does seem from the comments in this thread
and my own experience that quality will beat quantity.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong....<G>

John Bruce
jbruce@infinet.com
1VP Miami Valley Iris Society
AIS Region 6 / SW OH Zone5