Iris ID's and Checklists

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

Pat Johndro writes:

> I recently recieved some deep purple self irises from a man who
> calls them Purple Passion which dates back to 1863.  I was wondering if
> anyone had any information on these irises for my records.

Pat,

Given the tastes and attitudes of the Victorian era, it is highly
improbable that an iris would have been named Purple Passion in 1863.
However, there is a TB iris that was registered and introduced with this
name by Loleta Powell in 1979/80. Probably what you have received is an
older iris variety to which someone has attached an unofficial name (since
AIS registered this name for the Powell iris in 1980, it means they do not
recognize any other variety by the same name).

> I am also
> wondering if anyone knows if there are irises called Confederate Bridge,
> Confederate Soldier or Confederate Blue.  On a recent order I ordered
> Confederate Soldier and it came to me tagged Confederate bridge and one
> as Confederate Blue.  Now I am somewhat confused as to what I have.

Confederate Soldier is an Intermediate Bearded iris registered by Hooker
Nichols in 1974 and introduced by him in 1978. No iris of either of the
other two names was registered by the AIS prior to 1990, at least.

The AIS Checklists are bound volumes listing the vital data on all irises
registered by them.
The 1939 Checklist lists all irises registered up to that year. Additional
Checklists have been issued to cover each ten-year period since then.
Irises registered since 1989 can only be found in the annual Registration
and Introduction booklets issued by the AIS. These will be compiled into
another Checklist after next year.

cwalters@digitalpla.net