Re: OT: Fertilizer

From: Christa Royer <croyer@fastrans.net>

Patsiris@aol.com wrote:

> From: Patsiris@aol.com
> For rebloomers I sprinkle slow release pellets around the after spring bloom to
> keep them growing through the summer.

Pat. I am interested in your use of the timed-release fertilizer, in particular on
I have thought about it, but wasn't sure of how it might affect them. Do you use
it in spring or  after the first bloom.   When?  How much do you use?
I use alfalfa. The pellets I use when I'm re-doing a bed or putting in a new one.
It doesn't cause a lot of dust when handled. The meal I use when feeding them. I
mix it in with bonemeal and a small amount of 5-10-5. This can easily be worked
into the soil and no worry about leaving it laying on the rhz as can be the case
with pellets. I have been told by a local grower that leaving pellets on the rhz
can cause rot. I have had little rot since using alfalfa as the primary additive.
I use a light amount of this in Feb. or Mar. then in July and again in Oct.

Christa Royer
St.Louis, Mo
zone 5