Re: Alfalfa pellets & Humore-Humalfa

From: Pooreplace@aol.com

>>on 9-17-98 @ 11:16:52 EDT Pat from Patsiris@aol.com writes:
>does anyone have experience with alfalfa pellets?  I've used them at rate of
a heaping teaspoon per clump for the past 2 years & have had very good
bloom...

Morning all,

Alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) is just about my favorite.  It comes in such
bulk (a heavy 50 lb. bag for anywhere from $4.25 to $7.85 here locally), is
very forgiving as to amount & method of application, & seems to work quicker
than it's chemical breakdown is predicted.  Upon putting 400 lbs of alfalfa
pellets in my 40 x 60' front yard maze bed (built fall '96) I generously
applied it all over the top of my soils (I had 66 tons of 'rich mix' brought
in to fill in the 2 stacked landscape timber raised daylily areas & 3 stacked
landscape timber tall raised bearded part) & let the rain & sprinklers hit it
a couple of times before working it in.  Both the irises & daylilies I put in
a week or two later have all done fantastic.  The weeds there have also been
low to non-existent.  Some of the best bloom as well as increase has occurred
there.

Something that works wonderfully here also is Humore, formerly called Humalfa.
Similar to Manalfa, but Humore/Humalfa is from an Oklahoma company located in
Shattuck.  All of the '99 National convention gardeners have been using it.
Del Woodruff in Yukon has been using Humore the most & the longest.  I
understand he has the most impressive stalks for such a short time in the
ground and really had some awesome '98 bloom.  He only began planting iris
about 3 years ago I am given to understand.

I tried Humore in 2 or 3 different places but really didn't see much
difference in that & the alfalfa pellets.  Humore is easier to apply, but much
more expensive per bag/quantity unless you have it trucked to your house, or
go pick up a truckload across town yourself.  We're blessed with having a
couple of local distributors here.
All National visitors will get their own complimentary bag of Humore to take
back & try themselves I feel confident.  The best thing about humore is: a
pile of it doesn't go to pieces in the rain & become unusable.  When I had 800
pounds delivered fall before last, it was in a pile for a couple of months.
No matter how much it had rained you could go out & dig up shovel full like it
was freshly ground.  It is amazing stuff.
In small amounts when it wets down it becomes a tea of sorts whilch allows it
to become available nutrient wise almost immediately, much quicker than the
alfalfa pellets.

The only downside for alfalfa pellets are 1) if you do choose to leave it
solid across the top it becomes strange, green looking & moldy in appearance
after a rain or two as pellets expand.  You then must work it in to the soils
to avoid other negative occurrences like a) the smell isn't too pleasing, & b)
it attracts flies worse than a stapelia at full tilt.  And 2) if you have
neighborhood or passing by cats, they really seem to enjoy frequenting the
pelleted areas by adding a few droppings of their own, although I've never
suffered any cat damage to my knowledge---other than they can wreak havoc on
freshly installed 8" tall temporary plastic labels!

Kathy Poore,  Oklahoma City, OK
AIS, MIS, SLI, TBIS, & others
Region 22, USDA Zone 7