Re: OT: Hostas

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 9/20/1998 2:01:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
liddiard@esn.net writes:

<<   I really would like to separate some of them and mail them to some of my
family in California.  Can anyone tell me what the best way to separate them
would be and how I would go about mailing them?  Thanks in advance. >>

Leslie:

We are all gardeners first.... and from there we may specialize.  But in order
to keep this list moving, I agree that we should limit our discussions to
irises and refer you to the hosta lists... of which there are two unrestricted
ones that I'm aware of through One-list.

But in the meantime, the objective of finding more room for IRISES is a noble
one.  Since you are in NC, I think it's safe to dig up the hosta,  determine
where you will divide, and separate out those eyes.  You might take the
opportunity to amend the soil with some compost while you're at it before
replanting.

I wouldn't recommend this any further north.... but would suggest waiting for
spring.

Kathy Guest who spent a glorious day at the first annual FALL GARDEN FAIRE
yesterday where we sold out of irises! In East Aurora, NY