Re: Iris Chatter - BIO

From: Amy Moseley Rupp <amy@ece.utexas.edu>

> My name is Suzanne Thompson and I live in Champaign, Illinois with the hubby,
> 4 kids, 4 cats, 2 huge mutts, 2 birds and lots of veggies and flowers.  Roses
> are my primary interest and I have over 150 of them with more on order.

Love Chambana.  But it's SOOOO COLD!  I just cannot deal with cold and
snow and ice having been raised in zone 9 and never living above z 8b
except a brief foray to Toronto which is actually a bit more moderate
than Champaign!  I have a grad school prof who waxes nostalgic about his
days at UIUC (now at UT).

What are your favourite rose sources?  Enquiring minds want to know!  I
will show you mine if you'll.. :-)  You're so lucky to have Klehm's
there.

> would do well in zone 5, Illinois?  I'd also like to hear your opinions of the
> best mail-order sources for Irises.

Miller's is next door in Indiana.  They have irises, daylilies and
hostas.  I'd certainly recommend them if you want to stick with stuff
grown more in your climatic zone.  Miller's Manor Iris; if anyone has
the address/phone number handy feel free to post as I am VERY busy and
it'll take me a while ;-)

> under the same name?  With roses, most have different names in different
> countries - does this hold true with Irises??

All non-Dutch irises are registered with the American Iris Society; all
Dutch irises with a group in the Netherlands.  Because of the
international cooperation and the fact that most of the hybridizer are
from English-speaking countries (US and Australia) the names are
English.  There are smaller concerns in France and UK, but not like
roses where you've got a significant presence in Germany (Kordes) and
France (Meilland).  Names are registered as trademarks which I do not
believe is done with iris and exclusive rights to sell often negotiated,
also not done with iris.  There are no royalty fees as with roses.
However, there *is* always one common name for a rose, the form
AUSperd = Perdita by David Austin, KOR = Kordes; MAC = McGredy; MEI =
Meilland; JAC = Jackson & Perkins, etc.  Oh yeah, and HAR for Harkness
Roses in the UK.  Using this system you can uniquely ID a rose.

> Sorry to be so long-winded, but if you guys can stand it - I have one more
> question: <g>
> Is there a newsgroup devoted to Irises??

Nope, not like r.g.roses, take yer chances with r.g or talk here!