iris attica

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

Eureka!  We've been on two iris hunting expeditions so far here in Greece
(one in attica and one in peleponnesus) but the most exciting things we
found were cyclamens, arums, and crocuses (all in bloom, by the way).

But today, on the absolute southernmost point of the attica peninsula, in
the shadow of the Temple of Poseidon, with the Aegean Sea *literally* within
a stone's throw distance, we hit paydirt!  Hundreds of dormant clumps of
iris attica scattered across the hillside, with some just on the verge of
breaking dormancy.  We gathered ten clumps from different spots (probably 30
rhizomes in all), and now have to fight over who gets to keep the best ones!  :)

I can now return home a very, very, very happy camper.  But the good news is
I have nearly two more weeks left to enjoy the beauty of the land of the
gods.  Oh, and hunt for more irises too.  :)

Dennis (who left his signature file back in Cincinnati)

P.S.  You should see the cool photos I took of my friend digging irises with
the Aegean Sea and the ancient ruins behind him.  It makes me want to come
back in spring and take photos of the Temple with the irises in bloom!  All
the other tourists must have thought we were crazy to be poking around in
the dirt taking silly pictures of dead plants when there was this
magnificent millenia old temple to behold!  :)