Re: Iris Chatter - BIO

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

 I am
> wondering if anyone can tell me anything about these 2 Irises?  One is
> 'Batik' and the other 'China Dragon.'

     Welcome to Iris Talk.  BATIK is a dark purple with white spots.  It is
very unusual, yet interesting.

> I went to the local Borders Bookstore yesterday and felt lucky to have
> found a book on Irises.  Alas, when I got home, I discovered the book was
> written for gardeners in New Zealand and Australia!!!  The book is called
> 'Growing Irises' by Graeme Grosvenor.'

     Although this book is written for those "down under", it is still a
good book.  The information about how to divide Irises, etc. is good in the
US too.  The big thing to remember is that the seasons there are reversed
from what they are here.

 Many of the Irises pictured in this
> book caught my fancy (such as Leda's Lover, Interpol, Rustler,  Lady
> Raspberry Fudge, Edith Wolford, Latin Lark, Song of Erin, Vanity, etc),
but I
> am wondering if these same Irises are available in the USA and if so, are
> under the same name?  With roses, most have different names in different
> countries - does this hold true with Irises??

     Irises formally registered with the American Iris Society will be
under the same name worldwide.  All of the Irises you mentioned are
available in the USA, but I cannot recall at this time who has what.  There
are some Iris vendors in this group, and if they have them, I hope they let
you know.  It is now too late to order and plant Irises in most of the US,
but you could get some leads for next year.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.