Re: Iris Chatter - BIO

From: "R. S. Lockman" <thelockmans@tntie.com>

Welcome, Suzanne, You can get all the iris you named here in the USA.
Schreiner's Iris Lover,s Catalog pictures irises in full color, toll free
number is 1-800-525-2367. I have had good luck with them. Cooleys is
another, P.O. Box 126, Silverton, Or 97381. I have their catalog which is
lovely but have not ordered from them. Their toll free number
is1-800-225-5391. Happy Irising! I am a rose lover too. I only have 60 at
the present but we are still adding to that.
Donna Lockman
zone 7 N C

----------
> From: Sey12@aol.com
> To: iris-talk@onelist.com
> Subject: [iris-talk] Iris Chatter - BIO
> Date: Sunday, September 20, 1998 7:08 PM
>
> From: Sey12@aol.com
>
> Hello Folks-
>
> Just a brief background:
> My name is Suzanne Thompson and I live in Champaign, Illinois with the
hubby,
> 4 kids, 4 cats, 2 huge mutts, 2 birds and lots of veggies and flowers.
Roses
> are my primary interest and I have over 150 of them with more on order.
> However, in a local nursery last week, I was struck by the huge posters
of the
> tall bearded Irises and purchased 2 of them (for $3.50 each) and I am
> wondering if anyone can tell me anything about these 2 Irises?  One is
called
> 'Batik' and the other 'China Dragon.'  I know these Irises are gonna take
up
> precious space in the SUN which I need for my roses, but....I do think I
may
> very well get hooked!   If anyone is growing the two Irises I just
purchased,
> I'd love to hear what you think of them.  I like bold, unusual colors and
am
> thinking of ordering some of the brown Irises - can anyone suggest any
which
> would do well in zone 5, Illinois?  I'd also like to hear your opinions
of the
> best mail-order sources for Irises.
>
> I went to the local Borders Bookstore yesterday and felt lucky to have
finally
> found a book on Irises.  Alas, when I got home, I discovered the book was
> written for gardeners in New Zealand and Australia!!!  The book is called
> 'Growing Irises' by Graeme Grosvenor.'  Many of the Irises pictured in
this
> book caught my fancy (such as Leda's Lover, Interpol, Rustler,  Lady
Friend,