Iris Chatter - BIO

From: Sey12@aol.com

Hello Folks-

Just a brief background:
My name is Suzanne Thompson and I live in Champaign, Illinois with the hubby,
4 kids, 4 cats, 2 huge mutts, 2 birds and lots of veggies and flowers.  Roses
are my primary interest and I have over 150 of them with more on order.
However, in a local nursery last week, I was struck by the huge posters of the
tall bearded Irises and purchased 2 of them (for $3.50 each) and I am
wondering if anyone can tell me anything about these 2 Irises?  One is called
'Batik' and the other 'China Dragon.'  I know these Irises are gonna take up
precious space in the SUN which I need for my roses, but....I do think I may
very well get hooked!   If anyone is growing the two Irises I just purchased,
I'd love to hear what you think of them.  I like bold, unusual colors and am
thinking of ordering some of the brown Irises - can anyone suggest any which
would do well in zone 5, Illinois?  I'd also like to hear your opinions of the
best mail-order sources for Irises.

I went to the local Borders Bookstore yesterday and felt lucky to have finally
found a book on Irises.  Alas, when I got home, I discovered the book was
written for gardeners in New Zealand and Australia!!!  The book is called
'Growing Irises' by Graeme Grosvenor.'  Many of the Irises pictured in this
book caught my fancy (such as Leda's Lover, Interpol, Rustler,  Lady Friend,
Raspberry Fudge, Edith Wolford, Latin Lark, Song of Erin, Vanity, etc), but I
am wondering if these same Irises are available in the USA and if so, are they
under the same name?  With roses, most have different names in different
countries - does this hold true with Irises??

Sorry to be so long-winded, but if you guys can stand it - I have one more
question: <g>
Is there a newsgroup devoted to Irises??

Thanks-
Suzanne