Re: Iris Chatter - BIO

From: Sey12@aol.com

In a message dated 9/20/98 10:32:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
billc@atlantic.net writes:

>  It is now too late to order and plant Irises in most of the US,
>  but you could get some leads for next year.

>  Mark A. Cook
>  billc@atlantic.net
>  Dunnellon, Florida.

***thanks for all the information, I'm glad to know that Irises, unlike roses,
have the same names everywhere.  However, I am a bit confused about your
statement that it is now too late to plant Irises in most of the USA - I
assume my zone 5 IL is included in your statement?  It is my assumption that
*now* is the time to plant dormant Iris rizomes.  The nursery where I purchase
my two is a very good one and they only offer plants when the time is right.
I had assumed that by planting them now, the roots will have some time to get
established be for ole man winter hits?  After the first couple of heavy
frosts, I plan to mulch them heavily with shredded pine bark mulch and remove
it in the Spring.  Am I going about this all wrong?

Suzanne