Re: Iris Chatter - BIO

From: Sey12@aol.com

In a message dated 9/21/98 12:33:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
janclarx@hotmail.com writes:
>  Suzanne Thompson wrote:
>  >I know these Irises are gonna take up precious space in the SUN which I
>  need for my roses, but....I do think I may very well get hooked!
>  Hooked on irises? No! Go on, buy just one more. You can give them up
>  anytime.

***yeah, right  ; )

>  Welcome to the list and I guess we will be hearing a lot more from you
>  as your interest in irises grows, and GROWS.

***Looks like you guys are hearing more from me than either you or I thought!!
I am a bit confused as how to this group works - I don't know anything about
mailing lists and such - newsgroups are what I am familar with.  If I am doing
something wrong here by replying to each of you individually, I sure hope
someone will let me know!!!  I feel bad about clogging everyone's mailbox up
with all my newbie stuff!!!  So, please flame me at your leisure - I am quite
used to that from the newsgroups, so I shall feel right at home. <G>

>  Graeme Grosvenors little book is an excellent start, and his big book
>  "Iris: Flower of the Rainbow" is well worth having and a much more
>  recent publication(for christmas?)
>  You will be interested to know that he originally grew roses too, and
>  started into irises as a companion plant for the roses. I wonder what he
>  did with all his roses?

***Maybe he gave them to Sam McGredy?  Sam is on our newsgroup -
rec.gardens.roses.  Just kidding, Sam doesn't need any more roses!!  For those
who don't know, Sam is a famous rose hybridizer based in New Zealand - his
family has been in the rose business for generations, starting in Ireland.

>  Remember to add six months to anything in this book, to take into
>  account the difference. Also reverse North and South. Our irises like a
>  north facing aspect, because that's where the sunshine comes from.

***the reversals aren't the problem - the problem is winter hardiness!!!

>  Happy irising,
>  Jan Clark, in Australia

And happy roseing/irising to you too.

Zone 5, Illinois