Re: Iris Chatter - BIO

From: Sey12@aol.com

In a message dated 9/21/98 12:40:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
amy@ece.utexas.edu writes:

>  > My name is Suzanne Thompson and I live in Champaign, Illinois with the
> hubby,
>  > 4 kids, 4 cats, 2 huge mutts, 2 birds and lots of veggies and flowers.
> Roses
>  > are my primary interest and I have over 150 of them with more on order.

>  Love Chambana.  But it's SOOOO COLD!  I just cannot deal with cold and
>  snow and ice having been raised in zone 9 and never living above z 8b
>  except a brief foray to Toronto which is actually a bit more moderate
>  than Champaign!  I have a grad school prof who waxes nostalgic about his
>  days at UIUC (now at UT).

***Hey, Illinois is Paradise!!!  I lived in California for 4 years and
couldn't wait to come back to Illinois - where the change of the seasons is
loverly!!!  I felt like a fool trying to string Christmas lights on palm
trees!

>  What are your favourite rose sources?  Enquiring minds want to know!  I
>  will show you mine if you'll.. :-)

***at the risk of flames for going off-topic, I will tell you that EDMUNDS in
Oregon is absolutely the best source for bare-root roses - huge, healthy
things.  Edmunds grafts all their roses onto multiflora, which is *the*
rootstock for the midwest - almost all other roses are grafted onto Dr. Huey
which does best in hot climates.  For own-root roses, I highly recommend
Heirloom Old Garden Roses (they also offer many modern roses) also located in
Oregon.  HOGR has a catalog ($5.00) and it is a wonderful source of
information and absolutely packed with photos.  For miniature roses,
'Michael's Premier Roses' (CA) and Nor 'East (ME) are tops.  And, even though
all their roses are grafted on Dr. Huey, I am very fond of 'Witherspoon" in
NC.  If you need the phone numbers, email or snail addresses for any of these
places, please email me.  One last thing on the subject of roses, never order
roses from the Michigan Bulb Company!

You're so lucky to have Klehm's
>  there.

***Huh?  What is Klehm's?

>  All non-Dutch irises are registered with the American Iris Society; all
>  Dutch irises with a group in the Netherlands.  Because of the
>  international cooperation and the fact that most of the hybridizer are
>  from English-speaking countries (US and Australia) the names are
>  English.  There are smaller concerns in France and UK, but not like
>  roses where you've got a significant presence in Germany (Kordes) and
>  France (Meilland).  Names are registered as trademarks which I do not
>  believe is done with iris and exclusive rights to sell often negotiated,
>  also not done with iris.  There are no royalty fees as with roses.
>  However, there *is* always one common name for a rose, the form
>  AUSperd = Perdita by David Austin, KOR = Kordes; MAC = McGredy; MEI =
>  Meilland; JAC = Jackson & Perkins, etc.  Oh yeah, and HAR for Harkness
>  Roses in the UK.  Using this system you can uniquely ID a rose.

***Thanks for clarifying this.  So, it seems that Irises may be a bit easier
than roses.....EXCEPT for the need to divide them every couple of years.  Now,
*that* scares me.

>  > Sorry to be so long-winded, but if you guys can stand it - I have one
more
>  > question: <g>
>  > Is there a newsgroup devoted to Irises??

>  Nope, not like r.g.roses, take yer chances with r.g or talk here!

***well, that's too bad, I'd love to be able to participate on an Iris
newsgroup.   I did do a post to rec.gardens titled "Unusual Iris Colors" - the
response was not good.  However, I did get a great response from someone named
Chad in California - that's how ya'll have gotten stuck with me clogging up
your mailboxes!!

Suzanne
Zone 5, IL