CULT: Planting time.

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> ***thanks for all the information, I'm glad to know that Irises, unlike
> have the same names everywhere.  However, I am a bit confused about your
> statement that it is now too late to plant Irises in most of the USA - I
> assume my zone 5 IL is included in your statement?

     I would include Everything from Zone 7a northward in this statement.
In your climate, I would recommend not planting after Labor Day.  If some
experienced gardeners in your area know differently, I would hope they let
us know.

 It is my assumption that *now* is the time to plant dormant Iris rizomes.
The nursery where I purchase
> my two is a very good one and they only offer plants when the time is
> I had assumed that by planting them now, the roots will have some time to
> established be for ole man winter hits?  After the first couple of heavy
> frosts, I plan to mulch them heavily with shredded pine bark mulch and
> it in the Spring.  Am I going about this all wrong?

     My experience was limited to Kentucky, which is not quite as cold, but
is subject to the freeze thaw heaving effect.  With the ones you have,
treat them as you mentioned and they should do fine.  However, I would
normally recommend planting earlier in Zone 5.
Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.	Rain, 76 F.