Re: OT:Roses, was Iris Chatter

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Sey12@aol.com wrote:

> ***for me, it's da roses.  At least I know the names of all them!  I only have
> 4 (yes, you heard me, Irises and I only know the names of 2 of them!)
> ***Humph!!!!  There *are* thornless roses, you know.  And besides, don't
> Irises need to be "pruned" too?  Plus, there is all that dividing stuff.
> Suzanne

Hello Suzanne,

I have been reading your post with interest and welcome to Iris-Talk.

We have been generally buying our roses from Antique Rose Emporium, Rt. 5, Box
143, Brenham, Texas 77833 1-800-441-0002.

As for thorns, we have one named Apple Blossom which climbs on a wooden rail
fence.  We planted Apple Blossom there as a deterrent for kids from running across
yards and climbing over our fence and jumping into our flower beds!  Worked like a
You can't touch this rose anywhere without one or more of those wicked thorns
getting you, dogs even stay away from it.  This thing isn't even safe to handle
with leather gloves on.  :)

Glenn & Linda Simmons