TB Oz Bloom report

From: Dianne Dalla Santa <dalla@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>

G'day listers

Having just read Heather and Bernards bloom report I took a stroll around
my garden with notebook in hand. We are on target for peak bloom around 3rd
week in October during the Sunraysia Iris Convention.

3 newcomers planted earlier this year and blooming for the first time are
Mixture, Storyline and Preface. Dreaming lilac and Magicians Apprentice are
looking good but the earliest of the oldies, Joyce Terry, Red Ruler,
Mandolin, White Lightning, Sneak Preview and Mountain Violet are putting on
a good show despite overnight rain. A few dwarfs persist. Tell Fibs,
Bravita, Bloodspot and Kandi Moon come to mind and BB Calypso Clown is
always lovely next to the purplish new foliage on the roses. BB Pipers Tune
is blooming beneath the clmbing rose Souvenir de la Malmaison but the
colour combination doesn't really work. Anyway the rose will go silly now
with the rain and ball up, sadly this happens to it's spring blooms after
rain.

It is iris catalogue time here in Oz. Tempo Two( Barry Blyth) and Rainbow
Ridge (Graeme Grosvenor) catalogues have arrived. Decisions decisions!  Now
what is really good is I have on loan several USA catalogues brought back
by Aussie Jack Roberts from the Denver Convention. Wow. Only one is mine to
keep, Suttons.
I also have the lovliest t/shirt with iris from USA, the books, TWOI (a
gift for a friend), the Magic of Iris and Sex in Your Garden (for me) and
some other smaller items from the boutique.  Jack sure shopped well with my
money.... which didn't go far with the exchange rate but I did support the
Denver Convention. I have seen all the photos Jack took of the tour gardens
etc including those taken with the Oz flag with Blyths Aura Light in the
foreground. All that remains is for the Aussie Convention to be a success
in less than one months time and hope that the people joining us from USA
have fun.

Cheerio
Dianne in Victoria, Oz