Re: OT No Rain!?! HA! Winner Announced

From: Pooreplace@aol.com

Greetings to all & wake up Ruth Simmons!!!

>>Ruth@sonetcom.com writes:  Still sizzling in Oklahoma at 99 & no rain since
June 10th

Look out side & you'll find Noah paddling down your road!!!!  Since last night
when the temps plummeted from 97 down to 50 something, & we MUST have gotten
caught up on all that rainfall we had missed, it's all now come so hard & so
quickly that we have honest to goodness TOADSTOOLS popping up in yards all
over town!!!  Course the winds blew at 80 mph & we have more huge trees down
all over the place from Bethany to Guthrie as well,  but I'm here to tell ya
the fall has fallen!  I managed NOT to get called in last night to work, hmmm
maybe the fact I had the PHONE LINE tied up with my computer half the night
saved my neck?!?  Who knows, at least I didn't have to go in early---at 10pm
last night, work all night & then all day today like the rest of my outfit
did.  I even got suited up with my own "City slicker" today since it was
pouring so hard when I left.  It's that kind of bright yellow rubber raincoat
I've wanted my whole life but couldn't ever get as a kid cuz ma wore one
during the depression & was bound & determined her kid would NOT!!!  It even
came complete with the bright yellow full-length rubber overalls---now will
that stop traffic on Portland or what?  What perks we have working for the

I just strolled my beds for the 1st time in weeks & am not sure if it looks so
bad because of the heat, the drought, the 80 mph winds, or the 5 to 8 inches
of rain I think we've gotten.  I've got some serious cropping of irises to do
& it's gonna take hedgeclippers!  The TB's are the worst, but even the old
foliage on the MEDS is all down in the dumps.  They all look green & baby
increases are everywhere  but they are all flat as a pancake on the ground.
Miserably I also found a big clump of dead baby squirrels (so young at 1st I
thought they were rats) scattered around the perimeter of the back iris & hem
beds by the big 8 foot tall yellow neon Iron iris that gets lit at Christmas.
Obviously knocked from the big elm during the torrential rains & winds I can't
reveal what neighbor cats had done to the squirrels in the iris beds...
Certainly not during prime time here...  Having said all that & to make a long
story short, I think you can tell it hadn't been a red-letter day... til I got
inside to my mail...

Uncommonly ripping through a piece of strange looking junk mail from someplace
called Workman Publishing Co., (which I usually wouldn't do until many months
down the road when the junk mail pile hits 4 foot tall & tips over,  I find
the following letter which I'll highlight for you at this time:

Dear Kathy Poore,  Congratulations!  You are a winner!  (for some reason, for
the 1st time in my life I read on & didn't plunk in trash)  I'm delighted to
inform you that you are a winner in the 1999 Kitten Calender Contest.  Your
winning entry will appear in the 365 Kittens a Year Picture-A-Day Calender for
1999.  Your photograph of Kazoo (my middle child) makes a wonderful
contribution to the calendar & will appear on June 18 & 19, 1999, etc., etc.
Enclosed was a complimentary copy of the '99 calendar & there on JUNE 18 &
19th, (ironically the last 2 days of the AHS National Daylily Convention being
held here in OKC) was my precious blue, white & cream Dilute calico Persian
kitty-kat Kazoo peering through the glass fish bowl full of 3 bright orange
goldfish.  Below her pic is labeled, KAZOO,  Oklahoma City, OK!!

Just had to share this glorious news with you.  My Kazoo will now be famous as
these calendars can be found and purchased all over the world.  And I thought
this had been a dismal day...  Hope you all are having weather you can use by
now & a good day to boot!  Having a photograph selected like that & printed
worldwide is kinda like winning the Dykes!

Kathy Poore, Oklahoma City, OK
Region 22, USDA Zone 7