Re: HYBRIDIZING - Help me Bill Shear or somebody!!!

From: ItsRoTalk@aol.com

Hi Bill (or anyone else who knows about this stuff) -
 I was wondering if I could ask a few questions? I have looked all over the
place and just haven't been able to find the info I'm looking for. (I warn you
now, this is going to be a long post!)

 Pretending that I have successfully pollinated a flower, and that a seed pod
has resulted, will all the seeds in that pod produce the same flower? Or would
it be like a litter of kittens and you would get different "babies"? The
reason I ask this is that I have very limited space and was wondering if I
could plant half the seeds, save the rest, and if I got something I liked,
plant the remaining seeds later?
 Which leads me to my next question...How long can you store Iris seeds and
what would be the best way to store them?
 My final questions are about naturally occuring seed pods. I must have tossed
about 50 of these things this year! I'm curious to know if anyone ever plants
these seeds and if so, what kind of information do you keep about them? Also
wondering if there was any chance in heck of having a seedling from one of
these pods registered with AIS (assuming you got something exciting) when you
have no paternal information?
 One last thing, which I just thought of (Ha!). If a flower pollinates itself,
will the resulting seeds be copies of the parent? I guess that should have
been asked with the first questions but...I really did just think of it!!

Sorry for the long read. I just really want to know this stuff.
Thanks in advance -
Joni in GA