Re: HYBRIDIZING - Help me Bill Shear or somebody!!!

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Joni writes:
> will all the seeds in that pod produce the same flower?
Like the kittens, all genetically different even if some look the same.
> Which leads me to my next question...How long can you store Iris seeds
and what would be the best way to store them?
Not sure, but it would be several years. Let them dry and store them in
paper envelopes, labelled. If you have bee pollenated pods, keep the
name of the pod parent. If you ever register it you put 'unknown' for
the pollen parent. (not ANON, as I previously thought - Joke :-)
>If a flower pollinates itself, will the resulting seeds be copies of
the parent?
This is called 'Selfing' and no they won't. They may produce flowers
that are similar, or you might get a very wide range of colours,
patterns or forms.
There is some very useful information on growing seedlings, on Merle
Roberts home page. I suggest you read this. You will find his page
listed on the AIS site.
Happy hybridising,
Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia