From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

At 22:11 23/09/98 +1000, you wrote:
>From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>
>I selfed GLADIATOR'S GIFT (a LA.) and all of the offspring were half the
>height and double the substance of the parent.  I have passed on this line
>to my husband Bernard, who is now working on a line of shorter-growing La's.
>using this as the breeding base.
>GG is a chocolate red self with an eclectic mixed parentage.  This was the
>reason that I chose it to self.  Of the seedlings which bloomed three were
>caramel, one was pure white, several were cream and pink bicolours and the
>rest were plummy/blurk rose/blurk red etc.  All, however, were half the
>height and double the substance of the parent but the substance was so
>strong that some of the blooms could not open properly.  I have gone on to
>self some of these selfs and will know the result of my efforts in a few
>weeks when the spikes open.

Please keep us posted on results.  This is the really fascinating bit of
breeding.  Waiting to see what you have.  As I mentioned in another message
I am waiting for a TB cross BOYFRIEND x BENGAL TIGER to flower.  The first
should be within a week or so and there are others in the dozen or so
plants I have that are showing buds.  Waiting!  Waiting! Waiting!
>I have also selfed several others, but will not report on them as they are
>about to bloom and I don't want to jinx them!

Please report on these too.  If no-one else is interested send it to me
directly as I'd love to hear about them.

>>From my experience, La. seed is best used fresh.  The germiantion rate is
>never startling anyway, so fresh seed gives you the best advantage.  I do
>not store my seed past the shucking-drying out stage.  Bung them into a pot
>asap is my motto.   However, I know of other hybridisers who store seed for
>several months before committing them to the ground.  I presume that your
>general enquiries are more relating to TB's, but feel certain that the same
>kind of guidelines would be best to adopt.
Sterling Okase from our list here sent me a bunch of crosses he's made in
previous years.  Judging by some of the names involved he said that many
were years old.  Now one in particular which he hadn't owned for a while
(Horni Lorri) was involved in one of the crosses and there are seedling
emerging now.  Sterling could give you exact info on how he stored them,
bit he sent them to me in little envelopes.

Obviously they aren't too touchy.

Cheers all.

Paul Tyerman (Australia)