Re: HYBRIDIZING - Help me Bill Shear or somebody!!!

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

>From: Amy Moseley Rupp <amy@ece.utexas.edu>
>
>> rest were plummy/blurk rose/blurk red etc.  All, however, were half the
>> on an iris chat line like this at some stage!!
>
>What colour is blurk?  Is it a colour modifier like deep, dark, blackish,
muddy ...
>or a colour isn its own right eg puke green?  I think that is chunder green
to you...

>> >From my experience, La. seed is best used fresh.  The germiantion rate
is
>> never startling anyway, so fresh seed gives you the best advantage.  I do
>> not store my seed past the shucking-drying out stage.  Bung them into a
pot
>> asap is my motto.   However, I know of other hybridisers who store seed
for
>> several months before committing them to the ground.
>
>What are the connotations of the verb bung?  "Committing seeds to the
ground" sounds as
>if they will rest eternally there!

Dear Amy,

Yes, you are correct.  The colour "blurk" is similar to all of the
aforementioned options. It is a bit muddy, a bit dull, dark and modified to
the most "yuk" colour you can think of.  Bernard has an aversion to muddy
colours, and we usually just call an unfortunate seedling as having a "blurk
rose" colour.  I know exactly what he means, and attack aforementioned
seedling with a spade, removing it from his sight forever.

On the other hand "bung" is a neat verb used to decribe "committing seeds to
the ground" in a more casual manner.  The seeds of La.s usually do rest
eternally in peace and fail to germinate, so the connotation is totally
correct.

However, to "bung" relates to the manner in which they are committed ie.
with some care, but with the full knowledge that they more than likely never
respond to the kindness provided.

We also "bung" scones and cakes in the oven, "bung" a letter in the mail
box, "bung" the groceries into the checkout-chic's plastic carry bag (or is
the ladies who bung them first, and we re-bung them with a little more
care?") and finally we "bung" meat into the microwave.

As you can now appreciate, the care expended is not commensurate with the
result.  Neat word, isn't it?

Cheers for now,  Heather Pryor

Doing what she can to enlighten the northern hemisphere with southern
hemisphere verbal shorthand.

irishaven@pip.com.au