Re: HYB: LA Germination

From: "Patrick O'Connor" <swamp@ix.netcom.com>

Anner Whitehead writes"

>According to the findings of Deno, supported by my own experience, the seeds
>of water irises either require or respond very positively to light during
>germination. Break apart the corky coating and sow them on the surface of the
>soil or medium so that light can reach them. Keep them warm and moist but not
>wet. I have had no problems germinating any with this method.

This method is nothing like how I have treated Louisiana iris seeds for
many years, so perhaps I have something to learn.  I have always planted
the seeds in pots with one-half to three-quarters of an inch of soil over
them.  I do not nick the coating or remove the seed, although I know some
do.  I have felt that attempting to remove or nick the coating resulted in
damage to the seed as often as not.

I use the soil cover both to keep critters from eating the seed and to keep
them from drying out.  If Louisiana iris seed get dry, they do not
germinate that year, although they might in subsequent years.  If the seed
are on top of the soil, I assume that some special efforts have to be made
to keep the seed moist.  I put my  pots outside and water periodically, but
do not take any special measures to protect them.  As to insects, I often
find some seeds in a pot that have been hollowed out by creatures that
obviously considered them tasty.  Bare seed on the surface would seem to
make them easier prey.

I have found that some crosses germinate at a high rate and others do not.
Since there are no (intentional) variables in the way I handle the seed, I
have assumed that the varying results have to do with the seed produced by
the particular cross.

I am headed to the website to see what new can be learned.