Re: HYBRIDIZING - Help me Bill Shear or somebody!!!

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

>From: Amy Moseley Rupp <amy@ece.utexas.edu>
>
>> We also "bung" scones and cakes in the oven, "bung" a letter in the mail
>> box, "bung" the groceries into the checkout-chic's plastic carry bag (or
is
>> the ladies who bung them first, and we re-bung them with a little more
>> care?") and finally we "bung" meat into the microwave.
>>
>> As you can now appreciate, the care expended is not commensurate with the
>> result.  Neat word, isn't it?
>
>Ok, this equates to "pop in the oven" or "slam in the oven" ... but that
>implies that you effortlessly placed the thing in the oven and does not
>address all the preparations that had to go on *before* the "pop in the
>oven>"Bung" here is usually equated with "bunghole" which while technically
>means a hole in a barrel, means something rather anatomically delicate
>to discuss in a public forum.
>
>To iris -- got one order in today, one TB order outstanding but
>ocnfirmed, and never got the LA's I ordered from Ghio's.  Hmm... and
>no note of explanation.  Haven't heard a thing from Lone Star Iris.
>
>Heather, since you are a featured hybridizer in the Lone Star catalog,
>can you tell me which of your babies (or others, if you can be impartial
>;-)) you like the best?
>
>--Amy

Dear Amy,

Thank you for enlightening me on the northern hemisphere understanding of
"bung".  I will do my best to not use it in iris-talk chat dialogues as
appreciate that the word may be understood in a rather indelicate manner.
These cross-cultural things can cause unnecessary embarrasment for all
concerned.

In relation to the Lone Star releases, I must admit that I would have
difficulties in chosing a favourite from them.  I don't know what your
colour preferences are for your garden, etc. and would not like to recommend
something that may not be to your taste.

All I can say is that I have only sent to Farron those Iris which I feel are
outstanding for growth, increase etc. etc. and which should be of the
highest quality.  May I suggest that you have a glance through our web site
http://www.pip.com.au/~irishaven  and if you find something there which
takes your fancy I will be more than happy to provide you with further
information personally.

Cheers for now,  Heather Pryor   irishaven@pip.com.au