Iris seed weevil

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

 When one germinated I lifted the saran to check on the
>others and there were two of those hollowed out seeds, one of which seemed to
>have a small grub in it. I've never seen that critter before or since, but I
>have wondered how it got there and if it came in with or in the seeds. I also
>wondered if it might be fungus gnats but the thing had some size on it and
>gnats were not a problem at the time. I wondered if there was some LA-specific
>insect at work.

Anner, in WORLD OF IRISES (I think) there is a picture of the seed weevil,
which as a larva bores out the centers of seeds.  I don't know how specific
this weevil is; perhaps it can attack several kinds of irises. I don't have
the book here with me so can't check it now.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

Best book title this week: TREADMILL TO OBLIVION, the autobiography of
radio comedian Fred Allen.