Re: HYB : HYBRIDIZING etc.

From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>

 Hi Talk-ers,

I haven't been reading my Iris-Talk mail in a timely manner as I have
been busy with coordinating our sale which was last week end.  Sorry
this reply is so late.

>From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

>Sterling Okase from our list here sent me a bunch of crosses he's made
in
>previous years.  Judging by some of the names involved he said that
many
>were years old.  Now one in particular which he hadn't owned for a
while
>(Horni Lorri) was involved in one of the crosses and there are seedling
>emerging now.  Sterling could give you exact info on how he stored
them,
>bit he sent them to me in little envelopes.
>
>Obviously they aren't too touchy.

Every year I do more crosses than I can plant in my little seedling
patch so many of them never get planted. I store them in paper envelopes
with their parentage written on them and they get put away in a
cardboard box at room temperature. I take no special care with them. I
read in the World of Iris that  seeds have a shelf life of about 20
years......a little less than *Twinkies*.......
The seeds that I sent to Paul were crosses that I made within the past 4
years so they were not very, very old but I was curious to know how well
they would germinate after being held for that time under normal house
conditions.

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8