REF: Old Books

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Deborah Wheeler wrote of auction items:

>  Book # 1-The Iris- An Ideal Hardy Perennial, Written and published by
>  the members of the American iris Society. Geddes Douglas, Editor.
>  November 1947, Nashville, Tenn. Nice cond. Red cover with embossed
>  print,224 pages. Frontispiece in color, Iris Douglasiana, variety,
>  Orchid Sprite.

>  Book # 2- Garden Irises-Edited by L.F.Randolph, Published by the
>  American Iris Society, St.Louis, Missouri 1959. Nice cond. with original
>  dust jacket, 575 pages,color frontispiece, The Butterick Estate Garden,
>  Concord, Ma.

In case someone's hesitating, I'd like to add that both are highly valued
collector's items and I'd be bidding on them myself if they weren't already
in my library!

I suppose their value to historians is obvious, but they also contain a lot
of background material that's of interest to today's hybridizers --
although some of these accounts were condensed & used in TWOI.  GARDEN
IRISES, in particular, was the source of some of the detailed homework I
assigned in the hybridizing classes on the old Iris List.

How high to bid?  Well, I considered myself quite fortunate to pick these
up for only $35 each.  Maybe the competition set a $30 limit.....

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com