Reg. 2 Popularity Poll

From: Irisborer@aol.com

Some of you may know that each year, the American Iris Society sends a ballot
to each of its members (not just judges) and asks them to vote for their
favorite 25 from a list that they provide.  The list is compiled from various
sources..... winners of awards, the previous year's symposium choices and so
on.  The ballots are sent to a region's RVP - they count the votes and send
the results on to Melody Wilhoit who does the national count.

So.... since I'm (outgoing) RVP for Region 2.... and since my ballots are
counted and the results sent along, I thought you fine folks might be
interested in the top ten irises for New York State!

1.  Edith Wolford
2.  Silverado, Dusky Challanger
3.  Honky Tonk Blues
4.  Stepping Out
5.  Titan's Glory, Conjuration, Codicil, Blue Chip Pink
6.  Beverly Sills
7.  Mulled Wine, Lady Friend, Jesse's Song
8.  Vanity, Superstition, Orange Slices, Before the Storm, Afternoon Delight
9.  Song of Norway, Ringo, Immortality, Gay Parasol, Everything Plus,
10.  Victoria Falls, Thornbird, Stairway to Heaven, Laced Cotton, Christmas
Time, Cherry Smoke, Queen in Calico

For those of you living in similar climates as ours, this tells a story about
irises that perform well.  People who vote the ballot are constrained by no
special requirements, except that it's only sensible that they would vote for
irises the grow.

So I hope this amuses and instructs and gives newer members some
possibilitiies for their own gardens (sorry no descriptions..... hey, it's 5
am...I get points for just being alert!).  I've grown (grow) all but 2 of
these myownself.

I ALSO hope that other regions will post their results.... at least the "top
ten", so that we can see how we compare.

Kathy Guest.... shivering in East Aurora, NY
where the leaves are turning, the geeses are practicing the "v" formation, and
cider tastes extraordinarily good