Re: CULT: Post-drought Rot warning (was OT No Rain!?! HA!)

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

Warning to our buddies in Oklahoma, newly released from the demon drought:

Hurricane Frances came to our rescue here in Arkansas two weeks ago. I went
out to dance in my iris beds, I was so happy. But now reality and Erwinia
have set in.

Those poor heat-racked irises drank up the four-day rain and the minute the
temps dropped *boom* started putting on offsets. All over the county there
were offsets, offsets, offsets. Now there is rot, rot, rot.

My advice to my fellow Southerners is watch your beds like a hawk. Go out
every day, pull toppled fans, every day, and the minute you see slime,
bring out the spoon and the bleach.

TB growers all over Central Arkansas are suffering, especially those with a
lighter soil in which the rhizomes will burrow. Overgrown clumps are of
course fierce breeding grounds, but even new starts planted atop high
mounds may be subject to soft rot. I had a newsletter to make over the
weekend and didn't get out into the garden for several days. Today I've had
to dig and dunk two sadly infected clumps and spot-treat maybe eight
others. Some of my friends are in bleach water today up to their elbows.

Fight the good fight.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock