Re: OT:CHAT: Clarifying the language barrier

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

>From: Amy Moseley Rupp
>> Hi Paul....sorry can't myself. Dead horse = tomato sauce (rhyming slang)
>Hmmm... Dead horse rhymes with tomato sauce?    If you spell and
>pronounce it as "hoss", perhaps.  We do this in the South and the West
>of the United States.

I can't restrain myself on this either, but I need to work iris in before

A 'Dead Horse' originated with the British Navy in the 17th century. Prior
to a cruise a sailor could draw a month's pay in advance, puportedly to
keep wife and kiddies from the poorhouse while away. Of course, it often
went for other things... (buying iris?)

The first month was spent 'working off' the dead horse. When the 30 days
were complete, a cask stuffed with tarred rags, with carved horse head and
straw tail, was set adrift, afire. (The paymaster had included the signed
or 'X-marked' debt chits in the barrel's stuffing) As the 'horse' burned,
the crew sang the shanty 'Poor old Horse.'

The first month was spent working for 'Salt Horse' only, after the symbolic
horse was destroyed, the crew was again working for pay as well as their
'salt horse.'

I don't think I'll sign this dog....