OT-SA/REB Sutton's Success in OKC

From: Pooreplace@aol.com

Happy Saturday!

Just thought I'd better get the report out on George & Margaret Sutton being
here for our "Friday night in the big town".  Their slide show and talk was a
big success & surely will shut some of those old fuddy-duddies up that don't
think they like SA's!  Not that WE had fuddy-duddies amongst us tonight but SA
haters certainly do get noisy when they get together & start complaining.  The
fact that first THORNBIRD and now CONJURATION have both won the Dykes should
be enough to let them know that SA's are here to stay!

We were happy to have the Suttons here & had a fairly good crowd...considering
it's almost cool enough (only 93 today) to get outside & plant something plus
the Oklahoma State Fair is going on.   I exclaimed quite loudly however, upon
their entrance when I only noticed ONE tray of slides under his arm!   Quickly
I let them know we'd already been advised about the Santa Rosa meeting last
week.  When I asked as to when they depart for OZ, he had to throw in a bit to
the program about the internet.  Little did he know that the "3 fastest modes
of communication of which tell-a-Kathy is #3" have been around long before the
internet arrived!

The 1st half of the program was on SA's.  I was interested in some of his
terms for the SA appendages.  I don't believe I'd heard "scoops" before.  I
usually just say flounces & call it good, but his rationale for scoops makes
sense.  He utilized HONEY SCOOP  Sutton '97 to describe differences.
GOLDFINGER  Sutton '97 & MOONRAKER  Sutton '98 were also both quite nice.
SPACE DANCER Sutton '99 seems to be a nice "SILVERADO" type color.  Hope it
does better than the last 4 SILVERADO's I've killed here at the Poore-House.
That darn thing just won't grow...

I liked Sutton's '97 APOLLO ONE & especially upcoming '99  DOUBLE OH SEVEN.
He kept mentioning TRICK OR TREAT which sounds like something I need to have
but had not before heard of it.  Randy Moore, sitting next to me advised he
had it & it was great.   Guess I seem to have skipped a beat somewhere the
last year or two.  I'm not getting any good SA catalogs anymore?  I know I've
fallen off the Superstition list.  I also have not ever gotten Sutton's Green
Thumber catalog & upon scanning through it---I need it!  It is quite
impressive.  I NEVER throw an iris (or daylily or daffodil) catalog away.  I
keep them in my library to refer back to & find them all quite invaluable.

The Sutton's seem to be doing really great things in the BB class.  VEGAS HEAT
'98 & ABBEY CHANT '98 (also a REB) appeared enchanting.  He's doing a lot of
work with CHANTED of Barry Blyth's & getting great things from it, especially
passing on the blue beards.  Some seedlings out of AARON's DAGGER by CHANTED
were awesome.  Sutton is also getting some great luminatas which I have not
seen as SA's before tonight.

Another upcoming intro is LOVE ME TENDER for 2000 out of HEARTBREAK HOTEL.  I
think the thing I noticed the most were all the lovely colors he's getting
while still maintaining consistent horns, horny beards, spoons, scoops, &
flounces & spoony flounces.  Some of the flounces are so far out there he
commented the irises took on a peony type form.  To me they seemed a bit
closer to double daylilies--except we sure don't have any daylily colors like
that in those shades of blue!

Mr. Sutton spent the last half of the program on REB's.  With all my shade,
irises do wonderfully in the spring but I don't get much rebloom.  Sometimes
the REB I do get makes you wish it didn't.  (Yes, I've been one of those old
fuddy duddies that says if it's not good enough to see the 1st time why on
earth would I want to see it again?!?)  Again, some great irises were shown.
He kept mentioning ISTANBUL.  Don't think I've ever seen it although I think I
picked it up last year.  His H-100 crosses produced some wonderful lacy light
pinks that I want to pay close attention to upon introduction.  Although there
were only 3 or 4 of us that go goofy over the little bitties, I had to
restrain myself when he got down to his SDB slides.  CAUTION SIGN Sutton '96
& REHASH Sutton '98 were great.  REHASH came from cross of SIGH X CHANTED
which almost all us OKC MED lovers grow both of.

I liked some of his MDB's as well although with some of our flaky springs the
last 2 years the MDB's have remained in hiding.  A cross of DITTO X CHUBBY
CHEEKS produces some good ones.  His G-88-B-RE, an MDB which will be
introduces was absolutely precious & it along with another similarly colored
one looked as if it belonged in the maroon & yellow Pansy gigantica series.
He mentioned another cross of SUKY X WHITE REPRISE while showing another
gorgeous offspring slide.  Don't know WHITE REPRISE but it obviously makes a
good parent.

I'm sure we pushed the curtain getting out of the Garden Center before 10pm so
it was probably okay he only brought one tray of slides.  But I bet we
could've found an 'After place' to all go & view another tray or two or three
if he'd of brought more along!

You folks in OZ have a real treat coming your way in the next month when the
Suttons descend on your planet.  Wish I could hop over & join you!  With this
awful heat & lack of anything blooming we've had to deal with I could
certainly use a good dose of iris bloom to help me make it through the
winter---that is if we ever get one!
I must arise early in a few hours to get outside & pot up the last half of my
new daylilies plus ALL those new irises I got last week at our late sale.
Think I came home with well over 125 or so.  Sposed to be 95ish again so must
get out early.  Have a great weekend & happy irising to those of you who have
irises to look at!

Kathy Poore,  OKlahoma City, OK
Region 22, USDA Zone 7
AIS, MIS, SLI, TBIS, TAIS, SSIS, NAIS, NCIS, etcetera...