From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 9/26/1998 5:50:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu writes:

<< 	HONKYTONK BLUES has never bloomed for me, and I still have one
 plant of it that must be eight to ten years old now.  How long should I
 keep it, or is it time to discard? >>

There's two schools of thought on this:

1).... you can set a time limit with a series of warnings to the offending
iris.  Let's say your limit is 4 bloomless years...... year one, you can give
it a hard look.  Year two, a firm warning that garden space is precious and
nobody needs more spiky leaves for contrast.  Year three, a close-up look of a
shovel may be in order, with pointed glances toward the compost heap.  And
year four (this last step is generally not necessary if the about three steps
have been menacing enough), do the deed.... onto the compost heap with it.
This will generally produce fabulous bloom as the plant pleads for survival,
but don't relent or the other irises will NEVER change their ways.

2)  The other school of thought is that a non-blooming iris is a direct
challenge.  The horticultural equivalent to the glove slapped smartly upon the
cheek.  One must NEVER give into this test of wills.... and the iris must
remain in place for a generation, if necessary in order to experience a bloom.
Anything less is an admission of failure and not to be accepted.

Of course... if you were a non-iris gardener, you'd probably not even notice.

The longest non-bloomer in my garden was 8 years..... it was Kahili - and when
it finally DID bloom, it was the most godless, butt-ugly thing I'd ever seen.

Kathy Guest... who just came back from a small but successful organizational
meeting in Rochester and is in high iris gear!