OT: Verbenum in my Iris beds?

From: ItsRoTalk@aol.com

Hi guys -
 I know we've talked about this before, and forgive me for not paying enough
attention, but I would like some suggestions on plants that I can grow in my
Iris beds.
 I'm looking for a ground cover type plant, that will keep my soil from baking
into bricks. I have a patch of Verbenum planted around my mailbox, and have
been watching it and trying to decide if this could be my answer. Has anyone
else grown this stuff? It only grows about 3 inches tall and is covered with
dark purple flowers from June till November. I originally planted 2 of these
things, and they were very small, only about 2 inch pots. They now cover about
a 4 foot square area. The reason I wanted to try them in the beds is that,
even thought they are a ground cover, they seem to be very light and airy. I
was wondering if they could be planted around my Iris without hurting them?
 I was weeding today and was concerned that the dirt was very hard in places.
I know that you aren't supposed to let the rhizomes get too covered up, so
what can I do? I also thought the Verbenum would add color during the "off"
season. Any suggestions?

Thanks -
Joni in GA