REB: Merit

From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>

Hi Talk-ers,

What a relief!!! I just got back from Pierce County Iris Society's fall
beardless sale. That's our Rita B's club.  Though sales were rather
slow, it was great to see their members as it is rare that I get to see
them at any length. And it was great to shoot the breeze with Arnold
Ferguson and Rita Butler and catch up on juicy iris dirt. And best of
all....I am finally done, DONE, DOOOONNNE with all my duties....until
next year, anyway!!!! Still, I can't wait!!!

So amidst all my iris duties, I have been feverishy watching my
rebloomers for any signs of stalks. I found two rebloom stalks coming up
a couple of weeks ago. One on TB Reincarnation (SA RE) and one on a
newly acquired MTB (from "Iris Possessed" Linda (not Blair) Doffek)
named Merit that I have been wanting since a couple of years ago when it
was introduced. Merit put up a remarkably graceful stalk with branching
and re-branching. And the leaves are small, thin and equally graceful
and healthy. YEA!!!! The first flower opened two days ago and, as a HUGE
MTB fan, I must say that I have never seen color ANYTHING of it's like
in any other MTB. Standards are a yellowish-cream with cinnamon sanding
and cream falls with vibrant lavender sanding blending to cinnamon
sanding at the edge. COLOR!! So far, I have counted 14 buds forming in
the spathes....I hope I didn't get too enthusiastic with my fondling and
squish any buds. I hate when I do that.

Reincarnation is not yet blooming, will probably be another week. This
year Reincarnation bloomed with a vengance in the spring very early
during the SDB season. Needless to say, it's pollen went on everything
and was very potent. I am hoping to see some SA RE seedlings from it. It
is only a shame that I cannot do more crossing with the fall flowers.
Which brings me to a question I have.....

 Does anyone know what the agricultural laws are regarding sending
pollen to Australia? I am thinking if it does not rain here that I can
save the pollen and send it to the Aussies to use. They have such strict
postal laws regarding importing of plant material that they have
difficulty getting the newer USA varieties to play with, particularly
the SA varieties. Since they are now only in their dwarf season, they
might get the pollen in time to spread on their on their TBs, ARs and
ABs. Can I mail pollen to Australia without getting myself thrown in
prison? Anyone out there know? I would hate to have a large, hairy cell
mate to wake up to each morning.......EVEN for the sake of Irishood.

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8
AIS, KCIS, HIPS and MIS