Bloom Report from Oz

Greetings from the Land of Oz (and Iris),

This is just a short report on some of the La seedlings that have finally decided to bloom.   One 1996 cross of LOST FOR WORDS x HALO DOLLY has brought forth a plethora of interesting things.  Two have been given the chance to bloom again.  One is a soft smoky mushroom pink and pale lemon bicolour that is gently ruffled.  Style arms are soft lemon.  The pink petals have a lemon rim and the lemon petals have fine pink veining.  Very nice indeed.

Another of its sibs. is bright cheerful lemon with a large bright orange "wash" signal on the falls.  Nicely ruffled, branching is great etc. etc.   All the others are "spade jobs" and will be removed tomorrow.

That ELAINE'S WEDDING x PRIX D'ELEGANCE cross that I reported on last week has grown on me a bit more.  The plant has sent up three more spikes all with three branches.  The folded petals may prevent it from being named and released, but the colouration yesterday in the brilliant sunshine was more ruby red and lemon than previously described when viewed on a cloudier day.   The blurk colours gave way to bright colours in the sunshine.   Hmmmm....

ELAINE'S WEDDING is also in bloom, and putting on a great show.  Bernard and I will be going over to visit Elaine & Richard Harvey (whose wedding the Iris was named to honour) tomorrow with a bunch of blooms and three large potted plants for their new home.  They have been married now for two years and have only last week finally found a new home that they both like.  Until then they were living in Elaine's home during the week and Richard's on the weekends.  Very tiresome...

We also have a vase of LUCY PAYENS and its child NEVER SAY in our family room.  I just love these two Iris and can't get enough of them at bloom season.  Have about 100 plants of LP and about 10 of NS in the garden - great start to the season.

Another unregistered favourite which I call "Duck Egg Blue" has also been blooming.  It's a glacier blue self.  Unfortunately there are not enough buds to name it, but I grow it for my own pleasure.  The cross is SINFONIETTA x (Koorawatha x Alluvial gold) white seedling.  It regularly re-blooms in autumn too.  It looks great in the base with LP etc.

I like to pick a spike of most new things and bring them home to enjoy.  This gives me a good chance to closely inspect the opening spike and to see the blooms in all lights.   Some may think me a little crazy, but we wait all year for the bloom season and I am danged in I am going to let any chance to enjoy the blooms stop me.

Cheers for now.  Heather  irishaven@pip.com.au