Re: Mailing pollen

From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>

Sterling Okase wrote:

> So I am thinking, I should let the anthers dry a bit then enclose them
> in a small paper enclosure of some kind (so the pollen doesn't fall off
> all inside the envelope) then put it in an envelope to mail. Is this how
> you do it?

Yes. It must be dry.
You may use a folded paper packet or aluminum foil. I prefer
paper because if there is some moisture remaining, the
pollen is less likely to suffer from mildew.
Most of the pollen probably will have fallen off by the time
it arrives but a pipe cleaner, brush or toothpick can be
used to apply it.
Not sure how long iris pollen will remin viable when frozen
but well dried lily pollen will last more than a year if
frozen in a deep freezer (not in the frig freezer - not cold
enough)
The best way is to get some gelatin capsules from a
pharmacy, put the pollen and label. Place these in a glass
jar with a TIGHT lid on top of some crumpled paper. Under
the paper I put a packet of sicica gel because each time the
jar is opened some moisture will enter and you don't want it
to damage the pollen.

Hope this helps

John Montgomery
email: monashee@junction.net