Re: REB: Merit

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>
>
>Hi Talk-ers,
>
>What a relief!!! I just got back from Pierce County Iris Society's fall
>beardless sale. That's our Rita B's club.  Though sales were rather
>slow, it was great to see their members as it is rare that I get to see
>them at any length. And it was great to shoot the breeze with Arnold
>Ferguson and Rita Butler and catch up on juicy iris dirt. And best of
>all....I am finally done, DONE, DOOOONNNE with all my duties....until
>next year, anyway!!!! Still, I can't wait!!!
>
>So amidst all my iris duties, I have been feverishy watching my
>rebloomers for any signs of stalks. I found two rebloom stalks coming up
>a couple of weeks ago. One on TB Reincarnation (SA RE) and one on a
>newly acquired MTB (from "Iris Possessed" Linda (not Blair) Doffek)
>named Merit that I have been wanting since a couple of years ago when it
>was introduced. Merit put up a remarkably graceful stalk with branching
>and re-branching. And the leaves are small, thin and equally graceful
>and healthy. YEA!!!! The first flower opened two days ago and, as a HUGE
>MTB fan, I must say that I have never seen color ANYTHING of it's like
>in any other MTB. Standards are a yellowish-cream with cinnamon sanding
>and cream falls with vibrant lavender sanding blending to cinnamon
>sanding at the edge. COLOR!! So far, I have counted 14 buds forming in
>the spathes....I hope I didn't get too enthusiastic with my fondling and
>squish any buds. I hate when I do that.
>
>Reincarnation is not yet blooming, will probably be another week. This
>year Reincarnation bloomed with a vengance in the spring very early
>during the SDB season. Needless to say, it's pollen went on everything
>and was very potent. I am hoping to see some SA RE seedlings from it. It
>is only a shame that I cannot do more crossing with the fall flowers.
>Which brings me to a question I have.....
>
> Does anyone know what the agricultural laws are regarding sending
>pollen to Australia? I am thinking if it does not rain here that I can
>save the pollen and send it to the Aussies to use. They have such strict
>postal laws regarding importing of plant material that they have
>difficulty getting the newer USA varieties to play with, particularly
>the SA varieties. Since they are now only in their dwarf season, they
>might get the pollen in time to spread on their on their TBs, ARs and
>ABs. Can I mail pollen to Australia without getting myself thrown in
>prison? Anyone out there know? I would hate to have a large, hairy cell
>mate to wake up to each morning.......EVEN for the sake of Irishood.
>
>Iris Maniac,
>Sterling (not Innerst)
>Seattle, WA. Zone 8
>AIS, KCIS, HIPS and MIS
>sterling_o@hotmail.com

Der Sterling: I think that pollen is OK to send to Australia, but I do not
have that from the government. Those you sent here are just existing. It
has been hot. Hopefully today or tomorrow will be the last of our over 90
degrees F.  Lloyd Z. in Durham NC, where I BLESS has been blooming all
month. A trmendous lots of stalks on an SDB from BABY BLESSED by the
creator of LIONS SHARE>. ALso LOW HO SILVER. All three are from BABY
BLESSED and all did well last fall also.