Re: REB: survivors and deaths

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>LOW HO SILVER was severely
>damaged by intermittant freezes (in spite of being covered) and never
>recovered.  Dead as a doorknob.  It received rave reviews on iris-list -
>should I try this one again someday?
Linda, the State Capitol clump of LHS is about to rebloom here -- again. It
bloomed last "winter," then again just in time for our late freeze, then in
early summer.
Meanwhile, the clump in my yard bloomed out and died. I may have loved it
to death. The Capitol beds are a palace of neglect: good soil, for the most
part, but only rainfall for water and no extra TLC for rebloomers.

Water here has been exactly none for a month at a time twice this summer
followed by days-on-end deluges. Our temps swing wildly: We dropped from
105F to 65F in 48 hours a few weeks back. It's almost October and it's 94
degrees out. And yet LHS and IMMORTALITY have both rebloomed all over the

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons