Re: OT-BIO Martha Brown

From: "Martha Brown" <mbrown@pldi.net>

	I am not only new to the list but also relatively new to growing iris.  I
purchased an introductory special from Cooley's in 1994 and have had about
1/2 die and not a great show from the rest until this year when they were
beautiful.  I was hooked and have since ordered Cooley's re-bloomer and
fragrant collections.
	I live in northwest Oklahoma just outside of Cleo Springs which is about
30 miles west of Enid OK.  I have VERY sandy soil.
	I have several questions:

	(1) How much sun should Iris have to bloom and re-bloom well?

	(2) I use Osmocote 14-14-14 on lawn and perennial beds because my soil
tests were deficient in all three areas.  Apparently I don't have enough
clay in my soil to bind any nutrients or hold water.  Should I do something
different for Iris?

	(3) Water?  My lawn has to be watered three times a week to keep from
showing stress.  I have never seen water stand in my yard even after heavy
rapid rains.  How much should the soil dry between waterings?  Everything
else has a heavy mulch and is watered twice a week if no rain.

	(4) The closest Iris Societies listed are apparently in Kingfisher and
Ponca City both of which are over an hour away.  Would it be worth the
drive to join one of them?  Is there a Re-blooming Iris Society in Oklahoma
or only the national one?

Thanks for any answers you might be able to help with.

M Brown
NW Oklahoma, USA
USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35